Sherrell Dorsey is a noted technology journalist and social entrepreneur. She is founder of daily tech newsletter, ThePLUG, where she leads content strategy, business partnerships, and growth of the first daily tech newsletter covering black founders and innovators. She is also founder of BLKTECHCLT, Charlotte's first tech hub supporting entrepreneurs and technologists of color throughout North Carolina.
With features in Fast Company, The Atlantic’s City Lab, The Root, Next City, and many others, Sherrell has covered high-profile founders, investors, and business trends at the intersection of sustainability, innovation, and equity. Sherrell has been a featured speaker and moderator, hosting panels and fireside chats with Steve Case, founder of AOL; Virginia Governor, Terry McAuliffe; Daymond John, ABCs SharkTank; and Ben Jealous of Kapor Capital.
Her experience in tech includes internships at Microsoft, serving as a marketing manager at Uber, and on a contract project with Google Fiber. She also serves as WCCB TV’s tech expert and hosts an inclusive quarterly technology event series called #BLKTECHCLT.
Sherrell is currently pursuing a Master of Science degree in Data Journalism at Columbia University in New York City.
- A Conversation with the First Black Ballerina in the Pacific Northwest Ballet's Balanchine Nutcracker | The Stranger
- A Growing Group of Black Angel Investors Is Making Up for the Funding Biases in Venture Capital | Fast Company
- Holding Tech News Accountable In Covering Diverse Innovators | LinkedIn
- Portland Fund Fuels Minority and Women Entrepreneurs | Next City
- A Fight for Progress in the 'New South' | CityLab
- Atlanta Entrepreneur Paul Judge Raises $12,500,000 From Amazon.com for New Home Wi-Fi Device | The Root
- Bad Ass Women in Health Tech: Sally Poblete, CEO of Wellthie | Redox
- An Up-Close Look at Homelessness in Silicon Valley | Triple Pundit
- In Newark, Support, Leeriness of Booker's Food Stamp Challenge | Black Enterprise
- Charlotte artists on visibility, community, and the art of belonging | Charlotte Agenda
- WCCB TV, On-air tech expert (2017)
- Fox News, Chemicals and toxins in personal care products (2013)
- Depth and Candor
- Black Mentor Podcast
- Blacks in Technology
- Phone Wallet Keys
- Amazon - Speaker, Seattle, WA
- Black Entrepreneurship Week - Fireside chat moderator, Raleigh, NC
- Capital One Women In Tech Demo Day - Washington, D.C.
- Startup Weekend—Judge, Charlotte @JCSU
- Elevate Women's Network—Panelist
- Innovate Your Cool Conference—Moderator, Entrepreneurship and Equity
- SXSW—Master of Cerememonies, HBCU@SXSW
- State of the Black Tech Ecosystem, Black Tech Mecca—Master of Ceremonies, Google Chicago
- SXSW—Press for The Root
- Charlotte Chamber of Commerce—Moderator for IoT discussion
- Village Capital Velocity Tour—Press, moderator
- Greater Foundation, Panelist on Social Entrepreneurship